Friday, February 27, 2009

Europe

I just got back from Europe and thought I would share my adventures.

We started in Barcelona. It was such a beautiful city and I really enjoyed it. We walked the Rambla with was a pedestrian street market with lots of shops and booths. We also went to "La Boqueria", a food market not unlike the public market.

After Barcelona we went on the France. We stopped in Carcassonne, a walled medieval city. There are still two thick walls surrounding the city. It was really cool. Then we stayed in Avignon. It was a very cute little town. Small with lots of shopping and one of the old papal palaces. Then we stopped the day in Nimes. Nimes has a old amphitheater. It is still used today for Bull fighting. I like Nimes a lot. Right outside of Nimes it the Pont du Gaur. It is an old aqueduct still fully intact. That was pretty cool. Our final destination in France was Nice, a resort town in the Cote d'Azur. We were near the Mediterranean sea. It was so pretty. We spent one morning in a perfumery. That was cool. Then we spent the rest of the morning in the Principality of Monaco. It is a country smaller than New York's Central Park! There was nothing real exciting there. We were in Nice for Carnaval. It is a festival somewhat like Mardi Gras. But it sure was a party. Some of us are on some french myspace somewhere with french guys that decided to take pictures with us.

After France we went to Italy. Our first stop was to Florence. We stayed the night in Montecatini and then spent the following day in Florence. I really liked Florence...a lot. We saw Michelangelo's David and other works by him. I was surprised at how big David was. Very tall and I didn't expect him to be so big! I enjoyed shopping in the little covered market. And the Cathedral by Bernini was very impressive as well. Then on to Rome. I loved Roma!!! One of my favorite places on the trip. It is a beautiful city with so much history. We saw the Colosseum...of course... and the Roman forum. That was cool cause we saw the place where Caesar was cremated. I really enjoyed the Vatican city! The artwork and sculpture was crazy! So impressive. i would definitely go back there. But one of the most beautiful things was Trevi Fountain. we saw it at night all lit up. It was so pretty.

I was very sad to leave but I know that one day I will be back. I hope that day is very soon. I didn't have a most favorite part because i liked everything so much!!!!! I cant pick just one place. But I do have to say that I really like Rome. But I would love to go back to France and Barcelona.

2 comments:

  1. Have you taken an art history course yet? As to Florence, I too enjoy that city. I rented a 500 year old villa outside the city for a month. While I loved the architecture and art, I really became tired of all the tourists. In contrast, Rome was denuded of tourists in July, too hot and most folks deciding to crowd to the shore. We went swimming in a fountain next to Forum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have taken art history. That is why I enjoyed Florence so much. I really liked both places however I wasnt there long enough to truly experience both of them.

    ReplyDelete